I had been devouring this chocolate cake for years before I realized it happens to be vegan. I was preparing dessert for friends who eat a dairy-free and egg-free diet, and this chocolate cake hit the mark. The recipe was passed down to me by my mother-in-law, who crushed it as a restaurant owner for 35 years, and who continues to be the best baker I know.
This vegan chocolate cake is light, low in sugar, and oh so chocolaty. It pairs divinely with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, especially when served warm.
One of its best features is its simplicity… I whip this up when I’m in a pinch. Focus on making your elaborate dinner, but don’t leave your dinner guests hanging without satisfying their sweet tooth too.
Vegan Chocolate Cake – Ingredients
1 Cup white sugar
1 1/2 Cups white flour
41/2 Tbsp sifted cocoa, unsweetened
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vinegar
1/3 Cup oil or substitute
1 tsp vanilla
1 Cup cold water
- Mix the dry ingredients in a medium bowl
- Make three holes and add oil to one hole, vinegar to another, and vanilla to the last hole
- Pour 1 Cup of cold water over the mixture and stir
- Bake in a greased 9″ square or round pan at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until a toothpick comes out clean, approximately 30 minutes
- Once cool, sprinkle with icing sugar, spread with a glaze and crushed walnuts, or serve plain and warm with vanilla ice cream
- If you want to get fancy, make two cakes and set one on top of the other with a layer of icing or nutella in between. Instant. Hit.
Yield: ~12 squares
Calories: ~180kcal/ square (not including additions like icing or ice cream)